Blessed with magnificent scenery and incredible history and enriched with folk traditions and delicious regional foods and wines, Dubrovnik is a city so divine that it has been named one of the world's best travel destinations and adventures. No wonder why it was chosen as a filming location for HBO's cross-over smash hit Game of Thrones.
The Game of Thrones has achieved impressive popularity over the years, and Dubrovnik, Croatia, is the city where the show's production takes place. This land has a rich culture, and these five locations are top attractions for fan visitors.
1. The Jesuit Stairs – These famous Baroque stairs appeared in the series Season Five during the infamous 'Walk of Shame' scene. These stairs extend from Gundulic Square to St. Ignatius Church and embrace the magnificence of Spanish architecture. This iconic scene catapulted the location's popularity and has become a frequently visited spot. The view from the top is quite charming and gives you a fascinating view of the city.
2. Fort Lovrijenac – A theater located on the outskirts of the Old Town's western walls in Dubrovnik, also referred to as St. Lawrence Fortress. The fortress's interior was used for filming the halls of the 'Red Keep' while the exterior captures Blackwater Bay. Visitors here are welcome to navigate around the fort and experience the ancient history that lies within.
3. City Walls – The impressive Dubrovnik's city walls were a major deciding factor for producers when selecting Dubrovnik to shoot this beloved series. Many scenes feature the Medieval style walls, including some near the Narrow Sea and many private walks taken on the series. It has three main entrances, and while exploring, you'll get the chance to see Lovrijenac Fortress and capture breathtaking views of the Adriatic Sea.
4. Tresteno Arboretum – Located ten miles from Dubrovnik, this site is a prominent shooting scenario. Known as the King's Landing and Red Keep's Garden, this park is stunning and encapsulates the privacy represented in the series. It's one of the oldest arboretums globally, and the hedges combined with the floral selections are immaculate.
5. Island of Lokrum – Home to the famous "Iron Throne," this island is located 600 meters from the city. The throne is housed in the visitor's center, and you're welcome to pose and take a few photos sitting on the throne if you'd like. Other Games of Thrones points of interest in Lokrum include the botanical gardens (located off the coast) featured in the city of Quarth and the monastery.
The essence of the show is everywhere in Dubrovnik. While you walk these cobbled streets, you will surely recognize details and signature scenes from the series.
Explore this impressive European gem with a private journey crafted just for you. Whatever your interests and needs, we can take you to Croatia in comfort and style. Contact us to help you design a memorable Game of Thrones experience.